Close this search box.

Book a Consultation

Or have our lawyers call you:

Can I stop my neighbour’s noise?

Noise is probably the most common source of contention between neighbours. If you are being disturbed, usually the best thing to do is to ask your neighbour to reduce their noise or to avoid making noise at certain times of the day. If that does not work, the next steps you should take depend on the circumstances.

If you are being disturbed by a party late at night you can call the police, who have the power to ask your neighbours to stop.

Your local council and the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) both have rules about when people can make noise, especially when it comes to power tools, building work and operating machinery.

If your neighbour keeps making noise even after you have asked them to stop, you may be able to bring proceedings in a Local Court or, in some circumstances, the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Another alternative may be to take your dispute to a Community Legal Centre, where a mediator will help you resolve your dispute less formally.

What can I do about overhanging branches?

You should never take it upon yourself to cut branches that hang over your property without first speaking to your neighbour, local council or solicitor. That is because councils may have Tree Preservation Orders in place. What is covered by these orders varies from council to council and sometimes they will allow you to lop a portion of the tree, but not the whole tree. You can be fined if you breach a Tree Preservation Order.

Under the Trees (Disputes Between Neighbours) Act 2006 (NSW), you can apply to the Land and Environment Court for an order to “remedy, restrain or prevent damage to property on the land, or prevent injury to any person” relating to a tree in a neighbouring residential area.

Can my neighbour or their pets come onto my land?

A neighbour can generally only enter your land if you have told them they can, or if they have a right of way or other right of access to your land (called an easement). Usually, a right of way or easement will be shown in your land title documents.

People do not have any right to enter your land to retrieve something, unless you have told them they can. However, if they have entered your land previously and you have not complained, a court may consider that you have given your permission. Similarly, their pets cannot come onto your property either. If, for instance, a neighbour’s dog comes onto your land, you have the right to call the dog catcher.

If you have previously told a neighbour they can enter your land (or did not object when they previously entered), you can withdraw your permission whenever you like. Once you do, they have to leave immediately, otherwise they are trespassing.

If someone trespasses on your land, or if their pet does, you have the right to sue them for any damage. That said, sometimes your neighbour can ask for a court order that lets them or their tradespeople enter your land for a limited time so that they can carry out a specific task, such as mending a fence or painting their house if it is close to the boundary.

How can we help?

Neighbourhood disputes are common. We can advise you on how to make sure your dispute is resolved in the best possible way. We can:

  • Advise you on your rights, answer any legal questions you have, and help you negotiate an outcome that suits you
  • Advise you about the right way to resolve a dispute and what courses of action are available
  • Write letters of complaint for you, or help you complete the forms you will need to submit to a government agency.

Please do not hesitate to contact Bernard McAuley or Peter Moore on (02) 4324 7699 at Brazel Moore Compensation Lawyers to get assistance.

Considering a Legal Advice?
Find out where you stand today

Book a Consultation

Our Office


On 20th November 2023, our office will relocate to Suites 5 & 6, Fountain Plaza, 148-158 Central Coast Highway, Erina.

Our telephone number, email address & website willl remain unchanged.